Potato Breeder (m/f/d)
The Solana Group breeds modern potato varieties, and produces and distributes high-quality seed potatoes. Throughout our history we have always pursued the goal of breeding resistant, high-yielding varieties and supplying high-quality seed stock. Our range comprises around 60 different varieties for every intended purpose, suitable for almost every climate zone and meet almost every taste.
In addition to breeding and distribution, we offer all the associated upstream and downstream services. These include research, varietal maintenance and the production of seed potatoes, quality management, expert advice on the choosing of varieties and the growing of potatoes, and organising and handling international logistics.
Would you like to join us as a breeder for a globally active company? Then become part of our team at SaKa Pflanzenzucht GmbH & Co KG in Windeby near Eckernförde, Germany as a potato breeder (m/f/d). This position is permanent and full-time and to be filled at the next possible date.
- After intensive training, you will gradually take on responsibility for our international potato breeding program
- Involvement in research programs to improve potato breeding methods
- Planning and participation in the implementation of the crossings
- Further development of the strategy for marker-assisted selection
- Planning and evaluation of variety trials
- Integration of quantitative genetic methods and genomic selection into the breeding program
- Coordination of the practical breeding work with the technical teams of the Windeby and Ranzin breeding stations
- Close cooperation with product management and cultivation advice teams
- You report directly to the Head of Research and Development
- Master's degree or doctorate in the field of plant breeding or comparable academic education
- 2–3 years of practical work experience in business or scientific activity
- Experience in planning and evaluating trials
- Good knowledge of statistical software (R) and databases
- Very good knowledge of breeding methodology and breeding technologies
- Understanding of integration of marker technology and marker-assisted selection in modern breeding programs
- Very good written and oral communication skills in German and English
- Skills in management and leadership
- Willingness to travel
- A secure and permanent job in an international, growing owner managed company
- Variable and independent work in a young, appreciative team
- Flat hierarchies and fast decision-making processes
- Performance-based payment
- Flexible working hours
- We promote professional development
- Good working atmosphere
- Subsidy for company pension schemes
- Accident insurance
Have we aroused your interest in this challenging and developable position?